[OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:24:10 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I believe there are still some silver oxide 357's around made by Varta in
> Germany.  I have seen one comment by a list member that they are OK.  Amazon
> appears to have some. I wonder if others have tried them.  I hadn't cared too
> much with the OM-2 as the batteries seem to last forever and are changed out
> for a trip more on general principles.  As a new 4T owner, I'll pay closer
> attention.

The problem is that Varta is associated with the Swiss watch business,
and their batteries are pretty much only "low drain" designs, which can
cause problems in OM bodies that lead the user to thing something
intermittent is wrong with the camera. As with many makers, they list
their batteries as replacements for anything else of he same size with
the same nominal voltage.

There's a whole history around low vs. high drain designs and the demise
of the excellent Energizer 357 in favor of a lesser 303/357. Suffice it
to say that if a 357 doesn't say "High Drain" somewhere on the package,
it will work, but not as long or as reliably as one that does.

It seems that some other Japanese brands, like Maxell, may be made by
Sony, but I haven't been able to confirm that. The "W" in SR44W is the
key - the equivalent of "High Drain" on a 357. Here's what Energizer and
Sony packing used to look like.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Misc/bat357.JPG

Moose