[OM] Re: Fresh Start [was: I'm really trying to kill the old title of th

Subject: [OM] Re: Fresh Start [was: I'm really trying to kill the old title of this thread, guys!]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:42:21 -0700
> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Ain't it funny how gin will give one a better perspective on one's
> woes?

Sometimes, the best you can do is turn around and climb back into bed
and start all over.

A few days ago, I had a disk go marginally bad -- would run for a
half hour or so when cold, then crap out. So I started what I thought
was a restore from a backup, but what was actually over-writing my
backup with my bad disk, which quit after a half hour, corrupting my
backup.

"So what," I tried to convince myself, "I have other things I can be
doing." So I went out and started painting our new chicken coop
(http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Chicken_tractor) when it started to
rain. "No problem," I thought to myself, "Sure am glad I'm using oil-
based paint." But I hadn't read the can closely enough to know that
even venerable Rust Oleum now comes in a form that "conveniently
cleans up in water." So a quart of paint and a couple hours wasted,
and streaks down the side of the coop.

Oh well. No biggie. There's more to do. I had been playing with the
hydraulics on the tractor, adding an accessory port, and had just
gotten a coupling in the mail that I needed to finish the job. So I
put it on, tightened up the hoses, and started the tractor. I did
notice that the coupling seemed a little sloppy, but by now, I was
desperate to not have the day be a complete loss. I drove the tractor
around to the front loader, and started to mount it. Funny, it had
rained, but the grass under the tractor seemed especially wet and
shiny. But it wasn't until I connected the front loader hydraulic
hoses and tried to lift it that the light went on and I panic-stopped
the engine, knowing the hydraulic pump probably wasn't happy with 22
liters of hydraulic fluid on the ground instead of in the
transmission. The union block that I put the new connector on had
been left loosely attached by someone. Me. Sigh.

So I followed Bob's fine example, except it was a liter of hard
Okanagan cider.

If at first you don't succeed, have a drink! No sense being a damn
fool about it.

:::: Hydrogen power will dramatically reduce greenhouse gas
admissions. -- George W. Bush ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::