[OM] Re: Bye all.

Subject: [OM] Re: Bye all.
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:54:55 -0700
<snip>

>Most importantly, this list has been a family to me through the good times
>and the bad that my family and I have experienced.  I know people here only
>from the list but there is a core that I know if I showed up at their
>doorstep, they would invite me in and ask me to dinner.

>I have never belonged to a group anything like this one.  I consider you
>all, or at least most of you, true friends.  I thank you all for your
>support during the tough times.

<snip>

Tom, all families have spats.  There are no irreconcilable differences here and
I'd hate to see you file for divorce from this group.  You said it yourself,
there doesn't seem to be a group like this one out there in that wild internet.
And what makes it unique is the civilized members.  And to paraphrase those
incessant pledge breaks on public television "members like your self".

Email has a built in pause button that allows us to think before speaking (note
the word allows, not requires) and that can save us.  The downside of email is
that it allows an amount of anonymity or at least distancing that reduces the
inhibitions.  Alcohol has the same effect.  So take a moment to reflect and I
bet if you scratch under the electrons, you'll still find the group's respect.

Or, you can always cruise the rec.photo newsgroups.  The people there don't take
advantage of a built in pause, they gladly hide behind the anonymous veil and I
believe that some people are drunk when the post.  At least this group doesn't
devolve to:
"You're Wrong"
"Am Not"
"Are Too"
"You Stink"
"F*** You"
"Eat Me"

Well, maybe we do get down to that type of exchange, but it's not often and it's
done in better style.

Hang in there, Go shoot some pretty scenery and come back.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets