[OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?

Subject: [OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:54:54 -0700

On / June 16, 2007 CE, at 7:28 PM, <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> There is Canon EOS (auto focus) and Canon FD and earlier (manual
> focus).  There is 0 compatibility between them.  It is possible to
> buy a third party FD to EOS adapter but infinity focus requires an
> optical element such that you end up with a very low power
> teleconverter.  I've only encountered a couple of people who have
> owned same.  None were pleased.  I believe Canon made one as well
> for a short period after the EOS system was introduced but I don't
> think it performed well either and didn't last long.

You are right, but, gee Chuck. That was 20 years ago. The need for
compatibility gets pushed to extremes, but do you really want to put
an FD lens on it.

> I don't know the full extent of Nikon lens compatibility except
> that what you get depends on the price of your camera body.  The
> lower the level of your body the less the compatibility which I
> think in many cases is zero.

The last part is not true.The part about the cost increasing with
compatibility is true.  You can use manual lenses manually on all of
them. The D200, D2X, D2H have mechanical aperture actuators and
pretty much duplicate the original metering with any Nikon or third
party lens with a chip in it. The compatibility of the cheaper Nikons
is less, but then they are less likely to have owners who have that
interest.