[OM] Re: E-410 vs E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: E-410 vs E-510
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew wrote:
> The only answer to subject shake is free - faster speed and wider
> aperture as usual. Thats one reason why big fast lenses are still
> made and IS can be switched off. Sports shooters need it.

Lest anybody think that I'm Anti-Anti-Shake, I enjoy my Anti-Shake
equipped Minolta A1 very much.  However:

When it comes to telephoto and zoom lenses, I discovered something
quite interesting.  The 100/2.8 and 200/4 on my E-1 are VERY easy to
hold and hold steady. It amazes me that I can regularily handhold the
200/4 down to 1/4 of a second and still get perfectly sharp images.
But the larger and heavier Tokina 100-300 F4 zoom is like all over
the place.  If I'm not locked down on a support of some kind, I'm
shaking the poor lens all over tarnation.  Back to the old primes,
I'm steady, to the zoom, I'm like a goat at an all-you-can-eat salad
buffet.

What I'm saying is, IS and other anti-shake technologies are ways to
make up for unsteady camera/lens combinations.  My E-1 with the above
mentioned primes gives me no major disadvantage in the shake
department to a stabilized lens.  A bigger and heavier lens
completely changes the weight and balance of the camera and with it
comes instability.

AG

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7