[OM] Re: Contrast (OT, sorta)

Subject: [OM] Re: Contrast (OT, sorta)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:31:04 -0400
Hey, it ain't the tool so much as the tool-user. The right shooter
could use a Holga at a wedding and get stuff people would be gushing
over. Every now and then I have to remind myself that all this gear
talk is really interesting, and has some bearing on what I can do as
opposed to what I want to do, but what really matters is the eye
behind the viewfinder, not the viewfinder itself. If the 2S is what
you think you need for the job, then bravo and huzzah!

For what it's worth, in the shop where most of my stuff can be found,
the shooters with D200s and D80s and 10Ds hanging around their necks
want to talk equipment and exposure and all kinds of technical stuff.
Most of them also don't believe me when I tell them the majority of
my stuff now is digital. This is fine. I like to talk about that
stuff, too. But the vast majority of my customers, most of whom
either don't take pictures or have cigarette-pack-sized digital P&Ss,
talk about eye and talent and being out there to see the shots that
others don't, can't or won't see. I like that kind of talk, too, and
I find it interesting that it comes mostly from non-shooters. <g>

--Bob