[OM] Re: What is backfocus?

Subject: [OM] Re: What is backfocus?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:19:13 -0400
Backfocus  = the lens is focused behind the subject.
Frontfocus = the lens is focused ahead of the subject.

But I've never really understood why this is considered a fault of the
lens.  The lens is delivering the image and the camera is making
contrast measurements and directing the lens to move forward or back and
ultimately tells it to stop moving when the camera has decided that the
focus is good (or good enough).  Perhaps the lens coasts a bit while
moving and doesn't stop fast enough when told to.  But that would also
mean the camera body didn't double check the final focus.  Inquiring
minds want to know more.

Chuck Norcutt