[OM] Re: E-510 First Impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-510 First Impressions
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:06:08 -0400
In a word: Soft. And grainy. Shot at ISO 200. Way too fuzzy for
anyone to take seriously. There are elements of the image that ought
to be razor sharp and aren't. For example, a man in a boat down the
cove should be clear, and instead is a blob. Names painted on the
back of several lobster boats should be easily readable and aren't.

I've tried to raise up a few E-1 images to 16x20 that wouldn't make
it, but even they looked much better than this.

Didn't matter whether I shot on AF or MF, either. All the images are
soft. I just picked one that I thought I might have printed anyway
and put it through my workflow, which is basically Levels, LCE to
greater or lesser degree, and sharpening. Sometimes I do saturation
adjustment or mess with shadow/highlight to bring down some of the
highlights or bring up some shadow detail.

Today, I'm going to reset the camera to factory defaults and start
over. If that don't get me pointed in the right direction . . .

--Bob