[OM] Re: Cloudless, for a change ...

Subject: [OM] Re: Cloudless, for a change ...
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:55:57 -0300
Thanks for looking and commenting, Martyn.

It's Provia, doubtlessly. Saturation of blue in the sky is due to the
polarizer and the exceptional clear sky at that hour of the day.
Saturation of red was tuned up with PS, so as to match the original
slide since right out of the 4000ED the .tiff looked rather soft and
lacking contrast, but did so by means of LCE only. The darkest part of
the sky is only a tad darker than the original slide, but I would
explain this to some narrowing of Lightness in the LCH editor I did when
processing before scanning. Some LCE was also done to the shinny metal
pieces in the wall.

Wonder if the mirror inside the scanner needs some dusting-off, since I
always need to turn up the unsharp mask (intensity and halo width) in
Nikon Scan 4.x .... hate the idea to send it to the local Nikon service,
I simply don't trust them. Would like to know how to clean it myself,
but first I'd like to diagnose if the small amount of dust I can see on
the mirror is the cause of the softening I consistently get. (hint: lo
look at the mirror inside the scanner, a pair of small concave mirrors,
those used by dentists, are very useful)

Glad you liked it.

Fernando.