[OM] Re: E-330 , Question regarding "Digital Image Stabilization Mode"

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 , Question regarding "Digital Image Stabilization Mode"
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:49:53 -0600
Rand E wrote:
> This whole issue is because I am hovering on the edge of buying a E-330
> [...] one of my main passion is macro.

  Then, to cut a long story short, you need an E-330.

  Check the archives of the list (if you can disentangle the appropriate
messages, that is), but there's two things that make it the best (DSLR
[1]) body out there for macro:

  1. Live view -- now you can focus accurately. Less critical if you're
using the AF lenses, but if you're using legacy MF lenses and extension
tubes/bellows/etc, then this is a _big_ deal given how dark the
viewfinder is even on an OM-body.  The zoom-while-focussing would help
more if I ever used a tripod, but I tend to handhold macro and use the
builtin flash, so it's just too wobbly to tell what's going on.

  2. Tiltable screen -- so you can compose shots on things that aren't
in a convenient position.

  (3. to a lesser extent, the builtin flash is very handy -- for
cheap-and-cheerful macro lighting, it can work surprisingly well. )

  Here's some examples:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./E330/macro
http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./E330/pollen

  and even closer still:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./E330/macro2

  -- dan

[1] for non-DSLR macro, you want a coolpix 4500, of course.