[OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:08:39 -0700
There was a review which attempted to measure the dynamic range. Sorry
I don't remember where it is. I believe it covered the E410. Googling
for E410 reviews should locate it. It did appear that the new sensor
showed reduced range but that may not be a significant problem
depending on your needs. I vaguely remember some issue with the
shoulder also, but that may have been jpeg related.

This also makes some logical sense. The live preview is going to warm
up the chip. Astrophotographers cool their chips. If you're taking
pictures at night in a very hot location and using live preview you
might be dissappointed. If you regularly wish you could take HDR
pictures but can't take multiple exposures, again it may not be the
best choice. If you were shooting slide film, you'll probably be
happy.

I personally don't consider the E410 a bridge camera. So far it seems
to have the pixels and quality to replace an OM. When choosing a
camera, look at the lenses. The Olympus f2 zooms are huge and heavy.
The non f2 zooms are reasonably sized but so are the non-L Canon
lenses.

An E410 + 150/2 comes out ahead of a 5D + 300/2.8 L with respect to
size, weight & cost. If a full frame 24-105/4 sounds ideal maybe the
announced 12-60 will provide serious competition.

-jeff