[OM] Re: Summer shots and two questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Summer shots and two questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:47:44 -0700
Lukasz Grabun wrote:
> I have been playing with Kodak slides recently and have to tell I am
> impressed with results. Even on expired Kodak Elitechrome I got shots
> with decent colour definition and more than satisfying sharpness.
> Pictures from last Sunday are here, if you care:
>
> http://grabun.com/zdjecia/lato/
>
> (Fifth image is dedicated to geebee, if he does not mind, of course :-)

As others have said, 1 & 2 are glorious, with 4 close on their heels.
> Now, back to business, here are two questions I've been puzzling my
> mind with recently:
>
> [1]. Take a look at forementioned fifth image
>
> It was taken.......... Third picture was taken
> with -0.3EV compensation and I am not pretty sure why I actually took
> it as it made no sense to me. But, actually, it's the pictured I
> linked to above as it shows most detail with just a small patches of
> underexposed areas.

I agree with Jeff's assessment about the exposure. The bright sky is
balanced with the very dark trees and medium bright foreground to pretty
close to correct exposure from an averaging meter like the OM-2n. And as
I would be more interested in cloud highlight detail than tree shadows,
a slight -EV should, as it does, work well.

However, there is more cloud/highlight detail than shows in your posted
version. Actually, there's more shadow detail, as well, but I rather
like the semi silhouette trees. Whatever the combination of film and
scan, the top highlights are all squished together up at the top of the
histogram, but may be coaxed to show themselves, making the big white
blob of the upper left much more interesting.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Lato/Clouds.htm

If you look at the first histogram, you might say "Oh, look at that
tall, thin line at the right, the highlights are all blown as one value
at the top." And sometimes that is the case, but here, there is a lot of
tonal detail available up there.

#3 puzzles me. I an see the subject making a very nice, subtle print if
the full brightness range is captured. The single slide shot doesn't do
it, though. It's possible to bring up the shadows, but they are too
noisy, which loses subtle tonal graduations and the highlights have lost
too much detail.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Lato/Window.htm

This is a shot for low contrast color neg film like Portra NC slightly
overexposed or for a tripod and two shots exposed for highlights and
shadows respectively on slide film or any digital but those with the
lowest noise and highest dynamic range, then combined in post.

#6 doesn't do much for me as is. Too much out of focus area, too much
all bright area and too much foliage at the left. At least for me, the
central subject is the fence, with the grass in front of it also
important. so I first toned down the grass to get some detail in it and
keep it from drawing my eye away from the fence. Then I cropped to
eliminate extraneous material and bring the primary subject into the
central role.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Lato/Fence

Moose