[OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:59:03 -0700

On 28 Jun 07, at 18:37 , Tim Hughes wrote:

> it is no mean feat to make an A/D coverter with an even vaguely
> noise free
> resolution of 22bits at data rates of many Mega Hertz and with low
> power consumption. I doubt very
> much the converter mentioned, can actually do a low noise 22bit
> conversion !

Let alone be monotonic at the LSB. I'll bet it uses stochastic noise
injection anyway, so they probably don't care if the last two or
three bits bounce around like a yo-yo.

BTW: a true 22 bit converter should resolve 4 million levels. The
human eye can detect about 150 brightness levels, as I recall. (But
150 cubed -- for R, G, and B -- is almost 4 million, so maybe there's
some method to the madness...)

Some of this is undoubtedly sophisticated engineering, but I still
believe some of it is some guy in a suit telling the engineers,
"Stick more bits in it -- we've already printed the boxes!"

:::: I think our [energy] policy is called "aircraft carriers." --
Irwin Steltzer, 1987 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::