[OM] Re: E-510 Highlight spot metering

Subject: [OM] Re: E-510 Highlight spot metering
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:50:31 -0700
Phil wrote:
> Joel
>
> I have not used the highlight spot metering yet, how exactly does it meter?
>
> I am presuming that you meter at the brightest part of the image and the
> Camera makes sure this is not blown out??

More or less, but I suspect that's not exactly how it works.
Unfortunately, the E-510 manual, in keeping with most current camera
documentation, doesn't tell the whole story.

"HI Spot metering - highlight control When the overall background is
bright, white areas of the image will come out gray if you use the
camera’s automatic exposure. Using this mode enables the camera to shift
to over-exposure, allowing accurate white reproduction."

My guess is that it works like the same button on the OM-4 series
bodies. That is documented with illustrations in the OM-4 manuals. The
most detailed explanation with best illustrations is on pg. 15 here.
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om4-b.pdf

The documentation that it shifts to two stops higher exposure than the
spot meter would normally give is on pg. 34 here.
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om4ti.pdf

So, although is will keep highlights from being blown, the intent is
more geared to correct overall exposure with a mostly all bright
subject. So if you try to use it in a situation that is not bright
subject with bright background, you may end up with an incorrect exposure.

The Shadow button is the complement, except it corrects 2 2/3 stops in
the other direction.

Moose