[OM] Re: New list member - intro

Subject: [OM] Re: New list member - intro
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 11:14:06 +0200
Thanks for the kind words, Jez.

What drew me to the 410? Well, I travel a fair bit, and on business
trips it is usually impractical to bring the Canon outfit--it is too
big, too heavy, and hard to get through today's restrictive carry-on
rules, since I also carry a bag containing my laptop, papers, and (if it
is a one-night trip and I do not want to check luggage) a change of
clothes plus toiletries. On the other hand, I must have a camera with me
at all times. I have a Ricoh GR Digital, which is a nice pocketable
camera with a fast f2.4 lens, but like all compacts, it is too noisy at
ISO 400 and above; it also has other limitations, such as no buffer so
that if you are shooting RAW, you have to wait about 10 seconds after
each exposure while the camera writes the image to the card. So I was
looking for a proper DSLR but a small one, the size of a Leica M, which
would fit in the small Domke bag which I am always able to get past
airport check-in even if it technically violates the 1-piece rule.

Why Olympus and not the Pentax or Nikon? Well, I know several people who
use Olympus DSLRs and their results are very good. I am not familiar
with the Pentax or the Nikon, and Olympus has the added advantage that I
can use my 100mm Leica Apo Macro on it with an adapter, something that
is impossible with the Nikon (I am not sure about the Pentax). Finally,
the ultrasonic dust thingie seems pretty attractive.

Cheers,
Nathan

Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
> I started looking at your pictures (again, since we've know each other
> a while:-) but got sidetracked into the tribute to your father on
> http://www.nathanfoto.com
> We have had a few losses on this lost recently and I was touched by
> the way you wrote...  Live long and prosper!
> Anyway, a side question - since you have a collection of Can*n glass,
> what drew you to the Oly 410 - your first Oly?  And conversely why did
> you did dismiss other candidates, I'm thinking especially of Nik*n
> D40x and Pent*x?
> cheers
> Jez
>
> On 7/1/07, Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc and others,
>>
>> Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Someone recommended this
>> list to me as a friendly place on the net, and so far that is certainly
>> what I have experienced.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Nathan Wajsman