[OM] Re: Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get

Subject: [OM] Re: Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:05:01 -0600
Tim Taylor wrote:

[snip]

> So some basic questions here:
> 1. Is the viewfinder in the E-1 alot [sic] better than all the other E-series
> bodies including the newer ones? Is the auto-focus better (quicker, more
> accurate) in the E-1 than other bodies?

Can't answer for all the E-series, but I own the E-1 and the E-410 (and
I'm thinking of getting the E-510 when the body alone is released to
retail channels here in Canada).  The E-1's viewfinder is larger than
the E-410 to my eyes, but not by much.  The E-410 has tiny red LED focus
confirmation points built into its focus zones in the viewfinder, so you
always know which focus zone the camera is selecting (or you've selected
in override).  The E-1 has no such thing.  The auto-focus in the E-410
feels faster than the E-1 to me as well.  As to accuracy, haven't done
any real tests yet.

> 2. Is the small mega-pixel size that much of a handicap?  I am impressed
> with the 8mpx size in the C-8080 so wonder if going down in size will be
> a factor in print sizes up to 12 x16?  Rarely go larger.

Depends what you're using it for.  (You knew I was going to say that,
right?)  I'm *really* liking the 10 Mp in the E-410.  The dynamic range
is said to be slightly smaller on the 410/510 than the E-1, but the
noise seems a bit lower, too.  I also like the colour rendition, at
least so far.  Different sensors, four years' extra experience in
in-camera pre-processing.  YMMV.

> 3. Build quality should be more impressive in the E-1 than all others,
> right?

Yep.  That being said, the E-410 is about minimizing size and weight,
and they've done a magnificent job.  It still feels solid (albeit not as
solid as the E-1, which feels like you could get it to do double-duty as
a hammer when not taking pictures).  My hands are relatively small, too.
  If you have big mitts, the 410's probably not for you (I'd look at the
510, in that case.)

> 4. How quite [sic] is the E-1 compared to the others? I have read that it is
> much quieter than all other E-series and other dslrs.

It's quieter than the E-410, but surprisingly, not by that much.  The
410's still quieter than my buddy's Canon 5D, at least to my ears.

Garth