[OM] Re: Oly 770SW question

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly 770SW question
From: "Marc Lawrence" <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:31:02 +1000
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't know how else to interpret "calculate the altitude"

It may be that Mike's quoted questioner is interested in its
use as an altimeter rather than just have the data recorded
in the image file (ie. can you simply refer to the camera at
any time for your height/depth?).

The answer to that is "Yes", it displays your height/depth
on the screen at all times, plus the current pressure. A
big "however" is that calibration above see level is in
200m lots (eg. 0m, 200m, 400m), so I'm not sure that
accuracy above sea level is going to be useful (I have only
just switched mine on, so I don't know if the displayed height
above sea level changes in the same divisions as the calibrator).
The "good" news is that calibration underwater is in 0.5m
divisions, so that appears a little more accurate.

The Avocet Vertech Ski watch I once owned was a great altimeter
"gadget", except that in its case (or its replacement) "waterproof"
apparently didn't mean proofed agains water.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz