[OM] Re: First newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: First newbie question
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:00:02 +1000
I suspect that automatic transmissions are not environmentally sound
however they are 'optimised' as they are more fuel hungry.
Perhaps because the torque converter does not involve direct drive -
there has to be a loss there.
They used to be 20% thirstier and prolly do much better now but I bet
they're still more wasteful.
Of course, if you're a leadfoot and use the extra power, all bets are
off.
And my point about their fragility stands. My local yellow pages -
Auto Transmission repair shops outnumber 'normal' transmission and
diff repairers by a factor of over 100:1.
Feel free to correct me.

I remember someone telling me that BMW were appalled when they first
started selling into the US and Australia to discover that people
wanted auto versions.
They had to put larger engines in to maintain performance.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx