[OM] Re: First newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: First newbie question
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:56:12 +0100
I had a whole series of Mercedes automatics until 4 years ago and
they are really nice to use.  But when I moved to BMW I bought a
manual transmission for several reasons: functionality of the manual
reversion, the cost and the poorer fuel consumption.  All automatic
transmissions have some slip in the system and that increases the
fuel consumption.  It's pretty easy to drive a manual frugally, Tom,
just change up early and try to slow down by taking your foot off the
accelerator instead of braking late.

But I suppose that you have to offset the need to change the clutch
of a manual at some stage and that would make automatic an more
attractive proposition in financial terms.

But the most important tool in reducing your fuel consumption is an
computer in your car which tells you your instant and your averaged
consumption ...

Chris