[OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print

Subject: [OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:39:50 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> It's not lustre. It's not matte. It's gloss but paper-based as
>> opposed to PE-based paper.
>>

> Ah, that's the problem. Fiber-glossy does not flatbed scan very well.
> I'd suggest a copy-stand with a DSLR.

Are we talking about the same things here? Khen asked about an old 6x6
contact print from a Brownie. My experience is that flatbed scanning can
capture everything that's on that sort of print.

Look at the third example in the sample I posted.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/Scan6x7/Tootle.htm

I had no trouble at all capturing the whole, rather limited, dynamic
range of the print. And 600 dpi is enough to bring up the detail of the
grain, whatever combo of film/print grain it may be. What else is there
to capture with a camera? I may try out  the 5D on it, just for
curiosity, when my copy stand comes back from loan to a friend, but I'm
sort of stumped as to what else it might find.

>> We're talking about the Sixties here, Chuck.

Well, maybe that's part of it? My sample is from 1946.

Moose