[OM] Re: First newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: First newbie question
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 08:40:49 +0200
Thanks again to all. This thread has shown me a couple of things:

1) People are helpful here
2) The tendency to thread drift is as prevalent here as on the Leica
list :-)

As for my question, the conclusion is that it does not matter for me. I
do not chimp, and I shoot RAW with auto white balance at all times (and
with aperture-priority 99% of the time). I do not use the info on the
LCD to make adjustments, that's what Lightroom is for...I do glance
briefly at the histogram right after the image is made to make sure that
it is not grossly clipped but that's it.

Cheers,
Nathan

Moose wrote:
> Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
>> Probably the only camera settings you need to worry about are the
>> ones that affect the histogram if you use it to judge exposure. All
>> the camera settings affect the JPEG image that is used by the camera
>> to display on the LCD. The histogram and any overexposed highlight
>> tool your camera uses are based on that JPEG. It is probably
>> worthwhile to think about the contrast and white balance settings if
>> you are adjusting exposure based on the histogram.
>>

> Good thought, Winsor, thanks. I recently shot some images using the RGB
> histogram that were slightly more exposed than I would have thought from
> histogram and flashing highlights. No disasters, but.....
>
> I'll try to find settings that move that curve down a little bit.
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Nathan Wajsman