[OM] Re: Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get

Subject: [OM] Re: Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:33:57 -0500
On 7/1/07, Tim Taylor <timt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I really like about the E-1 is build quality and the better
> viewfinder compared to the later Oly dslrs (at least from what I have
> read and what I have seen of the e-410).  My eye-site is not the best
> (wear glasses) but manual focus alot as well as auto-focus. What I may
> not like about the E-1 is the lower resolution, i.e. 5.4 vs 8 and 10 of
> the later dslrs. I rarely need to go above 400 asa so noise levels are
> not much of an issue.

The E-1 viewfinder in my experience has been better for manual
focusing soccer games, etc., than the E-330, which has a similar sized
VF to the bodies you will be considering.  On the other hand, the
manual focusing available with Live View knocks down anything you can
do with any viewfinder for macro or telephoto work.  So it very much
depends where and for what you want to use manual focusing.

> Is the auto-focus better (quicker, more
> accurate) in the E-1 than other bodies?

I think it is a bit better on the E-330 than the E-1.  I feel certain
that this is an area in which Olympus needs to show improvement, as AF
was not comparatively one of the stronger features of the E-1.  That
said, I have rarely been let down by the E-1's AF.

> 2. Is the small mega-pixel size that much of a handicap?  I am impressed
> with the 8mpx size in the C-8080 so wonder if going down in size will be
> a factor in print sizes up to 12 x16?  Rarely go larger.

I moved to the E-1 from the C-8080.  5 E-1 MPs beats 8 C-8080 MPs in
my opinion.  I've never had a problem filling up a 13x19 sheet with a
full-frame E-1 shot.  The E-1 capture is very high quality, and
quality beats quantity.  A little upsizing doesn't hurt, especially
where some cropping comes into play.  I've had very good luck with
Fred Miranda's SI Pro 2.  Someone recently posted a comparison test of
SI Pro against PS's native bicubic upsizing tool and concluded that
WSI Pro isn't as good, but my personal results with SI Pro lead me to
the opposite conclusion.  In any case, if you want to print a cropped
E-1 shot large, you'll probably want to pick some method of upsizing.

Joel W.