[OM] Re: CanoScan FS2710 and windows XP

Subject: [OM] Re: CanoScan FS2710 and windows XP
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:27:03 -0700

>Mike wrote:
>

>>> After switching to XP I was unable to get the FS4000 to complete a scan
>>> using the SCSI interface even after doing all the necessary tweaks. I
>>> gave up and just use the USB interface. Ed was kind enough to
>>> investigate my problem to the extent it was determined to be a SCSI
>>> issue and not with VueScan.
>>>

>Mine had been working using the SCSI connection on XP with VueScan for
>about 2 1/2 years using simply the ASPI layer. It's now working fine on
>SCSI and Vista. Might it be the card? Mine is an Adaptec 2930, a fairly
>late model.
>
>I didn't even try to use the card that had come with the FS2710,
>figuring that it was quite an old design. I was lucky enough to find a
>used combo of the scanner with the then latest or most recommended
>Adaptec card for a decent price.
>
>I've never tried it with USB, but my reading of reviews when choosing a
>scanner led me to believe it would be much slower.
>
>Moose

According to Ed who looked at my Vuescan log the data is transferring in
blocks as it should but at some point the communication with the SCSI
card gets messed up and the process comes to a halt somewhere mid scan.
I'm using a 2940 series Adaptec card which may be the problem however it
worked fine with W98se. In any event the USB interface under XP isn't
noticably slower than the SCSI interface with W98. (but I haven't gotten
out the stop watch nor am I so inclined) At this point it hasn't been
worth trying a new card for the small  hit I may or may not be taking
by using the USB interface. If I used the scanner more maybe I would
reconsider. Or if someone could convince me that using SCSI + XP really
made that big of an improvement.

Mike