[OM] OT? Travel slide, proper ISO

Subject: [OM] OT? Travel slide, proper ISO
From: "Lukasz Grabun" <lgrabun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:29:36 +0200
Hello,

we - my better half and me, that is - are going to Spain this summer,
in August. Of course, even though officialy we go there to relax and
delight our eyes with breathtaking landscapes, the mains reason *I* go
there - just next to spending lovely three weeks with my wife - is to
take hundreds of photos.

I planned to take slides, mostly, on which I would shot both
landscapes and occasional, "travel" portraits (i.e. picture from
holiday, you frame and place on your office desk, whatever). I've
already have 20 (!) rolls of Velvia 50 and 10 rolls of Kodak E100VS -
both are very good at rendering landscape colors but not that good
when it comes to making portraits (skin is rendered as red, colors are
too vibrant). What slide would you recommend for portrait *and*
landscape pictures (I don't feel like shooting the whole roll of
portrait slide, than change to Velvia in order to make some landscape
shots). Few people recommended Fuji Provia or Astia. Even though
objectively it's a good advice, I am a bit reluctant to follow it.
I've made few rolls of Provia in the past and weren't too happy about
the results.

The alternative is to buy few rolls of Kodak Portra 160VC and use it
as both portrait and landscape film. Is it a good idea?

The other question I have regards film speed. I've heard many times
that exposing slides at other film speed and having them processed
normally can yield more than satisfying results. For example, it's
better to shoot Velvia at 64 (some people claim it's 40 ;-), and Kodak
E100VS actual speed is 160 (!). Now, would anyone, please, tell me
why, on the Earth, would Eastman Kodak misled its own customers with
labeling quite expensive slide film with the wrong speed? Has anyone
ever exposed E100VS at ISO160 and processed it normally? Does it even
matter if my camera has CW metering and I can hardly use spotmetering
with OM-4?

Sorry for posting so many questions, but I am a bit confused with all this.

--
Lukasz Grabun
http://www.grabun.com/