[OM] Re: Photoshop quick selection tool

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop quick selection tool
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:13:13 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> Adorama has a short tutorial on Photoshop's (CS3) quick selection tool.
> <http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?article=070207&op=academy_new>
>
> It doesn't go beyond the basics ... "paint" the image and photoshop
> will snap to the edges, use the dialog boxes to feather the edges ...

I'm again struck by how poorly some experts understand their tools*. She
partly likes the new tool because "I didn't have to hold down Shift to
add to the selection, as I did with the Magic Wand tool."

She doesn't even know that all the selection tools may be set to New,
Add, Subtract or Intersect Selection modes with the icons on the
toolbar. Most of mine are set by default to Add and I can use Alt for
the occasional Subtract in my most common uses. I wonder if she knows
how to use the Tolerance setting, which is right next to the mode icons.

The new tool does look nice, but not earth shattering. A nice example
overall, although I've gotten away from feathering, too much trouble
with funny looking edges. I see she talks about going back and forth,
trying different settings. I do use Select=>Modify=>=>Expand or Contract
(even Smooth, on occasion) to get the edge where I want sometimes.

I dropped her a line about the icons. I think I remember writing to her
before about the result of one of her tutorials where she made a sunrise
on the Tetons look like we were in a binary sun system, with light
coming from two quite different directions**, although I didn't say it
that way.  :-) She responded politely. Unless I'm thinking of someone
else entirely.

Moose

* There's a lot I don't understand about my tools, but I am not writing
tutorials or books for the general public on the subject. Guess I'd call
myself an advancing amateur in PS. ;-)

** Yes, yes, I do sometimes make alterations to lighten shadows, like
fill flash or a reflector has been used. There's no fill method big
enough for that shot. And besides, amateurs needn't be consistent.