[OM] Re: Advice please- stage photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice please- stage photography
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:29:23 +0200
Hi Chris,

5mp is plenty enough. The Canon 1DII I use has 8 mp, but really it is no
big deal. Megapixels are overrated. It is especially unfortunate that
the compact camera makes are using the megapixel count as the most
important product attribute to emphasize, and so we get all those
cameras with fingernail-sized sensors onto which 8 or more megapixels
have been crammed. As a result, performance at ISO speeds above 200
suffers from image noise, and anything above 400 is virtually useless.
It is this issue more than anything else that made me buy the E410, to
replace the Ricoh GRD as my "go everywhere" camera. The GRD has 8
megapixels; I am sure it would have been a better camera is it had 5 or
6 mp instead.

Nathan

Chris Barker wrote:
> Great, Nathan, thanks.
>
> Now I sense a challenge: I'll see what I can do with my 5mp E-1 ... :-)
>
> Chris
>
> On 8 Jul 2007, at 07:14, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> If it is daylight and you are able to get onto the stage, then I think
>> you will be just fine handheld. I had a backstage pass to an event
>> called Hilversum Live last week. It was also during the day, and I had
>> no difficulty shooting at ISO 400:
>> http://www.frozenlight.eu/hilversumlive07/
>> (sorry for the off-topic equipment, these were all shot with the Canon
>> 1DII).
>>
>> Nathan

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx