[OM] Re: OT Olympus trip - Ken Rockwell's take

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Olympus trip - Ken Rockwell's take
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:59:20 -0700
Walters, Martin wrote:
> Someone posted this link on Photo.net. Written in Ken Rockwell's usual
> style: http://www.kenrockwell.com/olympus/trip-35.htm

Trust him to make a big deal out of nothing much. Is he still working
his tongue out of his mouth or is he young enough to have missed that
era and/or uncurious enough to know nothing about older cameras?

Although the Trip 35 was one of the biggest, maybe THE biggest seller,
there were lots of compact Japanese VF/RF cameras. Like today with
compact digicams, there were a whole raft of camera that looked much the
same and had similar specs. And most of them had pretty similar lens
designs, too. The Tessar design had been around for decades, was well
understood and relatively cheap and easy to make.

Where the advent of coating allowed high end lenses to use more elements
and get faster, it just made the Tessar a better lens for more modest
uses. I'm not at all surprised that it would make good images. As would
many of its contemporaries. Oly was best, of course. :-)   But there
were other lesser, but still competent, camera around. The limitations
were less with the lenses than with focus accuracy, poor viewfinders
that only roughly approximate what will wind up in the frame, no
parallax correction, imprecise metering, limited shutter speeds - and of
course, only one focal length.

But I was an active photographer when it was around and I remember.
Personally, I wasn't interested in anything I had to zone focus and
preferred more than two shutter speeds (1/40 and 1/200) When the Trip 35
came out, I was using my new Nikon Ftn. I watched and waited for over
another 10 years (during which I had firmly switched to OM), checking
out each new compact RF model, never satisfied, until the XA came out, I
bought one, and peace descended on my need for a compact camera for many
years. Never did even get a film Stylus. Went from XA to digi.

By the way, where's our no batteries camera boy with the Trip 35, Rich
Silfver? http://silfver.blogspot.com/ He should be reveling in this, but
I think he has moved on. His real love is the red dot..

Moose