[OM] Was e-1 on craigs list is gone. Now, eBay vs Craiglist

Subject: [OM] Was e-1 on craigs list is gone. Now, eBay vs Craiglist
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:16:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/2007 9:46:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

What's  kinda nuts is why the person listed it for such a low price
instead of  eb*ying it.  A BIN would have triggered a sale probably in
a few  seconds.

Here are a few of reasons.

You have a big deal job with a major enterprise.

You have teenagers.

You are totally baffled by the digital camera.

You don't have an eBay or PayPal account.

You have neither the time nor inclination to figure out how to sell this  one
item on eBay and if you use a service your net will be less than what  you
could get on Craigslist.

And a reason they may not be aware of: A new seller, with a feedback rating
of zero will not do as well on price as an established seller.  There are
several reasons for this.

Now, to your plea for Tom to come out of hiding. For many years I have also
been a mini-Tom, buying packages and keeping the pieces I wanted and selling
the  surplus either here or on eBay.  When I spotted this package, which
contained nothing I didn't already have, I figured someone on the list might
have
an interest and if that was the case, they would appreciate knowing about  it.
 I have, as others have done for me, given the list and individuals on  the
list, a heads up on items of interest on eBay.  This has helped me get  some
things I've needed and has done the same for others.  This week, I've  posted
this Craigslist item and have also sent a member a link for an item which
looked like a decent buy on something he was seeking.  Others may see it,
however
I knew he wanted it and pointed it out to him.

Oh, I'm still looking for an original hood for my Olympus Chrome Six if
anyone sees one or has an extra.  I used the camera last Saturday and was
really
wishing I had that hood.

Craigslist vs eBay.  In my opinion, both have a place, however eBay  will get
two thumbs up while Craigslist won't.  It is missing  the structure for
conducting commerce in an organized way.  I've  been in communications with two
individuals about items they have listed,  have offered each of them their
asking
price and can't get them to  respond in a way that will have me owning the
item and them having my cash.  Weird!  I have, however bought a bunch of
darkroom gear through Craigslist  and been pleased with those transactions.
One
advantage of Craigslist is  that it is intended to be for local, eyeball to
eyeball sales.

So, there you go.  Oh, and keep me in mind for the Chrome Six  hood.  Might
have an interest in a Semi-Olympus at a good price.   <[8^)  Bill Barber