[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins in jar . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:09:02 -0400
Yes, the murkin croc is rare and very protected.  There are perhaps 400
or so of them left, all on the southern tip of Florida from about Fort
Lauderdale south.  Most live on the grounds of the Turkey Point nuclear
power plant near Miami.  They like brackish water and prefer the
slightly warmer water found in the plant's cooling canals that flow to
the ocean.  Florida Power & Light (aka Florida Flash & Flicker) employs
a full time biologist charged with managing their welfare.  I can't
remember his name but will always remember a talk he gave once where a
member of the audience asked him if crocs were more aggressive than
gators.  I'll paraphrase his response as:  "I don't rightly know.  You
see, I've caught every one of them at least once and weighed, tagged and
examined them and pumped out their stomachs to see what they've been
eating.  When they see me coming they run like hell."

Chuck Norcutt