[OM] Re: Medium Format

Subject: [OM] Re: Medium Format
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:12:04 -0500
I'll second the recommendation for the Bronica ETRSi. I managed to piece
together a very complete kit for very little money thanks to their
obsolescence.

I just handled mine a bit and I do believe you could manage one with
only one hand provided you could preload the backs. A winder or motor
drive may or may not make one more handy for you. You'd have to try it
to see. I know I keep the motor drive on mine all the time and find it a
bit clumsy to use without it. Same thing with swapping lenses. It's a
large bayonet mount with a front release button so you may need to try
it to decide.

To fill in a bit more of what James started, the PE series lenses are
the last models and most are actually pretty good. They also have the
ability to be set in 1/2 stop increments vs. full stops for the earlier
lenses. He didn't mention the fixed 150mm f/3.5 lens but I think it's a
decent piece.

The prices have gone so low on the Bronica stuff I can't imagine them
getting much cheaper. So if you try one and don't like it you could
probably turn it for a small loss if any. Being a "dead system" with no
hope for auto focus or a digital back in the future has it's advantages...

--
Jim