[OM] Re: Walt Update - Please read if you have been following these mess

Subject: [OM] Re: Walt Update - Please read if you have been following these messages
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:35:56 -0500
Moose wrote:
> Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> Sadly, it does sound final.
> Not always, and I think less so nowadays. Some places, they have
> realized that hospice type of care is just right for some patients, but
> without the astronomical cost of full hospitalization. So much warmer
> and emotionally supportive.* There they can see if regrouping is on the
> agenda or not in a nicer environment.

While the reality of the situation is that it's in Other Hands, we can
only hope that the plan involves bringing Walt back to health.

> Now wait a minute! Tough, yes, he'd have us believe that, and coot as
> well. But I'm not convinced. Crusty on the outside, but soft and warm on
> the inside, like a a good loaf of bread not long out of the oven, yeah.

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. The "List Walt" seems very much to
be a facade to hide the real Walt, who I'm sure is a teddy bear.

> He lost a big piece of his world, his work and the people in it,
> planned, expected, but still a tough transition for many. And then,
> completely unexpectedly, and with no explanation, he lost his love and
> companion. Vehicles, cameras, guns; all cold and dead; fun toys, but
> none feed the soul and keep the heart warm.

I agree with that as well. If anything happened to my wife, I know I'd
be really lost.  She's very much a part of who I am. Sometimes it's
scary how well suited we are for each other.

>  From my perspective, without those things worth living for, he lost his
> will to live. Even in typed words, you could hear it here on the list.
> They have a name for it in terribly abandoned children, failure to
> thrive. It can happen to those no longer children, as well.
>> Our prayers are still with him.
>>
> Oh, yes, indeed. And hope that the weight of our love and prayers and
> those of his family and other friends will help change his situation.
> But about that 'old' stuff. He's only a couple of years older than I,
> and I'm not old!

"old" was a term of endearment... I'm on my way there myself.
> Moose
>
> * Yes, I know whereof I speak. A brother spent his last days in a
> hospice, the end pretty much a foregone conclusion in his case. And my
> father, late wife and mother all died in hospitals, A hospice is a MUCH
> better place to be. If I never see another hospital room, let alone ER,
> ICU, ECU, CICU, it will be soon enough.

I can agree with that, and I work in a hospital.  The rooms in ICU look
so cold and, for lack of a better term, clinical.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon