[OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations
From: Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:01:55 +0100
* On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:47:08AM +0200, Nils Frohberg said:

> Hi,
>
> a few days ago I was asked for good books on said level of photography.
> I don't have much experience with such books myself, so I thought I
> could ask for help here.
>
> The book should cover both technical and creative advice, e.g. how/why
> to use manual mode, Av, Sv, what to watch for during composition, aso. A
> few word on flash photography wouldn't hurt either :)

I have several books on photography,  all of which have a slightly
different view to each other.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Camera/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-6140172-8141430?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184575937&sr=8-1

Is an excellent book,  equally applicable to film and digital and has given
me good insights into awkward situations of how to meter.

There is another book which is more focused towards composition and general
use, but I'm at work at the moment and can't quite remember the author.
I'll forward that on.

In the meantime,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/157990632X/202-6140172-8141430
will suffice ... as I've had a decent run from it in general nosiness and
such.

I think the best thing to do is to buy the books which are predominantly
photographs and look at what makes a good picture to you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0192842005/202-6140172-8141430

Is a book I have enjoyed greatly,  though it is a book on the photographs
themselves, rather than how to take them.

I can't really comment much on the flash side of things,  save to say that
http://strobist.blogspot.com/ is an excelent site for flash,  and something
I need to really read up on as I play with the new flash that I've just
aquired for my K10D (Sigma EF-500 DG Super)...

Anyway,  hope these are of use, and I'll find which one it is I can't
remember when I get home this evening and let you know.

p.

--
   |\      _,,,---,,_          "What is gained by fear will be
   /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_    lost when fear abates." - Ghandi