[OM] Re: [way OT] Household project advice - feedback

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Household project advice - feedback
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:19:32 +0100
On 18/07/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I tried the triple square toothpick solution and it did work but not to
> my total satisfaction.  The edge of the original holes ended up at about
> the center point of the new hole.  Trying to run a drill in only
> resulted in the drill following the edge of the old hole and the screws
> went in quite crooked.

> So I trundled off to Home Depot and picked up two 36 packs of 1/4" x 1"
> fluted wooden dowel pins for (I think) $2.19 each.  A 1/4" drill into
> the original hole goes quickly.  Follow that with a  dowel pin with a
> dab of glue around the end and a few light hammer taps finds it flush
> with the end of the hole.  Then I discovered that trying to drill a hole
> with soft wood on 1/2 of the drill and oak on the other half still
> wanted to wander into the soft wood.  It went in straight but a little
> off center.

I wonder if it would work better if you drilled another hole and also
filled that with dowel, such that the centre of your new screw-hole is
directly between the centres of the two dowel-filled holes?  The
hardness of the surrounding wood would still not be uniform but at
least it would be symmetrical.