[OM] Re: T.Power Control labels (was Re: Last of OM items for sale)

Subject: [OM] Re: T.Power Control labels (was Re: Last of OM items for sale)
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:25:55 -0700 (PDT)
In theory the same energy spread between two tubes should give identical total
light output as the
same energy dissipated in only one tube.

However, two things reduce this :
1)  the reduced energy dissipated in each flash tube, reduces the peak
temperature of the tube
plasma. The light conversion efficiency is higher with the higher temepratures
in a single tube.
(It is a little more complex, because it depends on what is actually produced
in the visible
spectrum.)
2)  the tubes are in series in the T28 (see schematic on Marks Website), so
voltage acrosss each
tube is reduced ~1/2 of single tube.
Since the capacitor does not discharge to zero but to the extinction voltage of
the tube (volt =
~60V) then with two tubes in series there is quite a bit more energy left in
the capacitor (volt=
~120V) after flash completes. (a factor of 2^2 - 1 = 3x more wasted) This is
increased wasted
energy, unsued at end of flash.

Tim Hughes