[OM] Re: #232

Subject: [OM] Re: #232
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:06:38 -0400
Delightful.  I can't help but think it's such a shame that most of the
US canals were torn up long ago.  It's only been two weeks since I
discovered the prior existence of the Chenango Canal which ran 97 miles
  from Binghamton, New York in the south to Utica, New York in the
north.   Although I had lived near Binghamton from 1965 to 1971 I had
never heard of the Chenango Canal. The canal connected the Binghamton
area and the Pennsylvania coal fields to the south with the Erie Canal
which ran from Buffalo to New York City.  But it was already out of
business and abandoned by 1877.
<http://www.chenangocanal.org/html/chenango_canal__review.html>

Chuck Norcutt