[OM] Re: Canadian Memory Tax

Subject: [OM] Re: Canadian Memory Tax
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:08:24 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> What a bummer. Buy a memory card for your camera and pay a tax to go
>> to the music industry. You Canadians have my sympathy.
>
> Well, the flip side of it is that copying music (or movies, or
> whatever) is legal, since you've already paid the royalties, no?

  And it's not as if the (already existing) tax on CDR/DVDRs is
enforced, for that matter. As far as I know, the only store that
actually bothers to collect it it is London Drugs -- small one-off
stores like Memory Express don't, certainly, but even the big office
superstores like Staples don't seem to bother.

  -- dan