[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:29:26 -0500
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 06:09:27PM -0700, AG Schnozz wrote:
> > On a 4/3 sensor, an APS sensor, or a 35mm full-sized sensor?
> Doesn't matter.  The common wisdom is that the smaller formats have
> sharper lenses.

Right...but are they enough sharper?

> If 4/3 is mediocre, then I'm blissfully living in ignorance.  I'm
> earning real money with my horrid 4/3 and 2/3 cameras.  My customers
> are estatic with the quality of the images.

What I'm getting at is that you can pack more pixels in a larger sensor.
Yes, there are limits to lens sharpness, but do lenses get less sharp as the
image circle gets larger at the same rate that the number of pixels
increases? (I'm not quite sure how to ask that question.)

If you can pack 20 MP into a 35mm sensor, and 10 MP in a 4/3 sensor, then
even if you're not getting 20 MP actual resolution due to sharpness issues,
if you're getting 14-16 MP, you're still ahead of the 4/3 sensor. At some
point, the 4/3 sensor size will set an absolute limit on number of pixels,
and that number will be smaller than the number on a larger sensor.

Put another way, are you arguing that people shouldn't shoot Kodachrome 25
if their lenses will only reach Tri-X levels of sharpness? (Ignore the
color/B&W issue for the moment; I'm referring to grain size and the like.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC                   http://www.conmicro.com
http://jmaynard.livejournal.com      http://www.tronguy.net