[OM] Re: Anarchy [was: Re: #232]

Subject: [OM] Re: Anarchy [was: Re: #232]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:22:00 -0700
> From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... does anyone know an example of someone trying to live
> outside the State, (I mean the modern centalised western institution),
> and having surived? Or just any examples of someone trying to do that?

There are degrees, no?

If you spend all your time *fighting* for the right to live
stateless, it seems you aren't able to accomplish anything else.

Perhaps the closest thing these days is ensuring that your efforts do
not finance the state. This can be done antagonistically, like those
who insist that income tax is illegal, or it can be done legally, by
living below the level at which one is required to pay taxes.

The latter case is not as spartan as it first seems, if you grow much
of your own food, produce your own fuel, and maintain a number of
side-businesses. A digital artist, for example, could have a new
digicam or computer every other year or so as a business expense, and
still not earn enough money to pay taxes.

That's not to say anyone any of us know is actually doing that,
because it would seem part of the success of such a strategy would be
keeping a low profile.

Of course, it can be said that living outside the state while
voluntarily obeying even some of the laws of the state is just too
much of a contradiction. I guess it all depends on your goals. As I
said, being stateless simply for the principle, while rubbing it in
the eye of the state and suffering the consequences, seems like a
Phyrric victory to me. There should be a goal, a reason, other than
thumping what's left of your chest and crying, "I have arrived at
statelessness!"

:::: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look
at change. -- Wayne Dyer.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org>