[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:53:11 -0400
At 07:43 AM 7/24/2007, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>While I'm sure Johnny is correct
>about the better glass being able to handle 22 MP I've seen it reported
>that some of the wide angle glass can't handle the 13-16 MP of the
>existing bodies, at least at the edges.

Heck, even wide Leica glass is softer in the corners than the center
of the frame, especially when shot wide open and I don't think it
takes a very high resolution capture medium to show that.  But, I
wonder if what you said above is entirely true.  Just because there's
less resolution at the edges of a 16mp capture that at the center
doesn't necessarily mean that the lens has topped out does it?  Isn't
it possible that, as the sensor MP is increased, both center and
corner resolutions would also increase with the corner always lagging
the center?  If that's the case then higher MP sensors will always be
desirable for people that want lots of detail in their captures such
as landscape photographers.

Anyway, were there as many people obsessed with corner/edge sharpness
in the days of film as there are now or does all the banter on the
forums that are available now and the ability to view images at 100%
on our monitors tend to feed our insecurities?

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA