[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:51:10 -0700

On 24 Jul 07, at 18:33 , Listar wrote:

> From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Put another way, are you arguing that people shouldn't shoot
> Kodachrome 25
> if their lenses will only reach Tri-X levels of sharpness?

I'd make that argument. (Of course, there may be other reasons
besides resolution to choose an archival colour positive film over a
B&W negative film. :-)

System resolving power combines as the inverse of the sum of the
inverses of the resolution of the individual components.

This means that the total system resolution can only approach the
resolution of the weakest component. So if your lens is crap, you
don't really gain much from using a high-res film or sensor. A lens
of infinite resolution can only resolve the number of pixels the
sensor has; a sensor with an infinite number of pixels will see them
smeared out and wasted at the limit of the resolution of the lens.

:::: I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I do not need
to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being
the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say
something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation. --
George W. Bush
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>