[OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences

Subject: [OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:36:53 +0100
On 27/07/07, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There's a discussion on the photo website about freedom to use the
> photos thereon for commercial purposes:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/central/discuss/72157600541608353/
>
> It would seem that a very prolific user of the photo website (over
> 11,000 images) had most of them lodged there under "Common Licence",
> and Virgin Media used one for a billboard in Australia, without
> informing the photographer.  The legalities of it pass me by, but
> some of you might find it interesting.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris. This is interesting stuff. Personally I don't use
Flickr. One of the reasons is that I'm not fond of such 'sweet' free
opportunities that it provides for corporations and other bussinesses.
And quite usually all that at the expense of the photographer, or with
the tendency to weaken the role and value of the photographer in
general.

By the way, I advice everyone not to upload/post pictures to the BBC
site, since that media corporation has a policy to gain copyright to
anything posted there. If you think this is a small issue, consider
that from the moment someone else has the copyright of your image then
it might be problematic for you to use again your own 'not-any-more'
picture.

CS

--
Christos Stavrou Photography