[OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences

Subject: [OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:09:02 -0400
Having to do with words rather than pictures, but same corporate
intent: Years ago when I left the newspaper business I continued to
write a weekly political column for the newspaper I'd been working
for. Contract work, so much per piece, etc. Not great money, but a
little extra for the pocket. After a year or so, I was getting
restless, and really didn't want to write the column anymore, but I
also didn't want to give up the money. Then came the letter from the
New York Times Co. that from this point on, forever and always, etc.,
contract work such as I was doing would be considered work for hire
by the NYT, and the company would own any and all rights to the
material, from the moment of publication through the end of time.

I never wrote another column, and never intend to. How dare those
avaricious bastards just move in and take over my honest work and
call it their own? In a previous post I inadvertently started quite a
discussion by mentioning that while conservative by nature, oil and
car companies have a tendency to transform me into a bomb-throwing
anarchist. I now know it was a mistake to disparage anarchists this
way <g-wink>, and modify my sentiment to say that oil and car
companies, along with greedy corporate media conglomerates such as
the New York Times Co., can transform me from a mild-mannered, soft-
spoken, conservative-natured sweetie pie into a bomb-throwing
nihilist. And if this in some way libels nihilists, perhaps I should
substitute the term "radical."

(Does that meet with your approval, Andrew? <snicker>)

--Bob