[OM] Re: Rescue the Boring

Subject: [OM] Re: Rescue the Boring
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:41:34 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> I posted a couple photos in my blog with a write-up on my attempts to
> rescue an underachieving photo.  It involved extreme settings in
> RawShooter to achieve.
>
> http://image66.blogspot.com

I bin flapin' my gums 'bout recovering shadow detail fer months, years,
mebbe and you finally git 'round to tryin' it?? ;-)

I hope I can say without offending that your improved version has some
obvious flaws, like big halos around the pole and wires and a real
glarey look.

This is really more the provenance of a proper editor than a RAW converter.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Shadows/

The first alternate is nothing but a few seconds in Shadow/Highlight.
And overall, I think it's at least close to the best, in that it doesn't
posit a binary solar system or a giant, white building behind the
camera. I only did 4 after going back and seeing how far you went. Then
I thought I'd put a bit more texture into the building = #5. #6 just
adds a touch of the #5 building to #2, trying to add a little
texture/character without going overboard.

Moose