[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:27:08 +1000
Still thinking....
I'm not unhappy with photo-realist painting.
But it should have a surreal quality to it, like the work of Jeffrey
Smart -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Smart
He is a painter who has something to say to a photographer.
I went through Monroy's site and found few images that are anything
more than clever graphics - Old Chair is worthy.
And there is one very significant ommisison. From the site above -
'Jeffrey Smart regards being able to draw the human being as the
single most important attainment of any artist.'
There is not one Monroy image that includes a live figure, animal or
human.
Hmmmmm.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx