[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:55:59 -0500
Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Still thinking....
> I'm not unhappy with photo-realist painting.
> But it should have a surreal quality to it, like the work of Jeffrey
> Smart -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Smart
> He is a painter who has something to say to a photographer.

And yet when Grant Wood did work like that (
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA98/haven/wood/nearsundown.html ), he
was derided by the "critics".

> I went through Monroy's site and found few images that are anything
> more than clever graphics - Old Chair is worthy.
> And there is one very significant ommisison. From the site above -
> 'Jeffrey Smart regards being able to draw the human being as the
> single most important attainment of any artist.'
> There is not one Monroy image that includes a live figure, animal or
> human.

A man can dream, can't he? :-)

Monroy has quite an achievement there, and, as art, it's as valid as
expression done in any other medium. But the software tester in me
keeps thinking about his future career as a stress-tester for Adobe
Photoshop. :-p

Steve