[OM] Re: Suggestions in the Banff/Jasper area

Subject: [OM] Re: Suggestions in the Banff/Jasper area
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:30:10 -0700
On 7/30/07 5:56 AM, "Lawrence Plummer" <plummerl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hopefully you're planning on the drive between Banff and Jasper.  There is
> very little between those two points that is not to be missed!

Agreed! It's one of the great scenic areas of this continent, like Yosemite
or Yellowstone. It's hard to go wrong.

OK, it's a tourist spot, but Lake Louise is truly spectacular, and breakfast
(or any meal) on the deck of the Grand Hotel there is fun (if crowded), just
to drink in the view. (Can't remember what the food was like!) I drove
through in 1976 (in a '71 BMW 2002 I managed to talk my parents into buying
for me, reasoning that I could sell it for close to what we paid for it at
the end of the summer, which we did....) on a soul-searching walkabout
between years of architecture school,  and then returned in 2000 on my way
back from Alaska on my BMW R80G/S. Enjoyed it both times!

IIRC there is a trip you can take by SnoCat up to a glacier. I would have
done that if I'd had the time and money.

South of Banff we stopped at Fairmont Hot Springs for a couple hours' dip in
the springs. The road on the way there continued the scenery of the
Banff-Jasper run, but with fewer cars.

OM Content: I made that trip in 1976 with my new-to-me OM-1md and (only) a
50/1.8, took Kodachrome and bulk-rolled Ilford FP-4, restricting myself to
full frame images. Ah, the rigors of youthful enthusiasm!

Enjoy!

Rob in Seattle