[OM] Re: Suggestions in the Banff/Jasper area

Subject: [OM] Re: Suggestions in the Banff/Jasper area
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:42:39 -0300
Bill:

1. Take a hike up Sulphur Mountain or alternatively take the cable gondola.
The hike takes about 3 hours and is easy going. We did it years ago with two
children ages 7 and 4. The view from the top is seen here:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/306.html

The gondola is close to the Banff Springs Hotel.

2. Soak in the thermal hot pools, again close to the Banff Springs. This
shot was taken in mid winter when the thermometer was reading -30C or
colder:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/148.html

3. If you are a Rotarian, take in a lunch meeting at the Banff Springs
Hotel. The setting is opulent.

Here is a shot of the Banff Springs Hotel:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/159.html

The gondola is faintly visible in the background.

4. Go visit the Cave and Basin hot springs on the edge of the Banff town
site. This is the place that gave birth to the Banff National Park

A shot of one of the thermal pools is seen here:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/078.html

5. At Lake Louise take a 30 or 40 minute up hill hike up the "Little Bee
Hive" to the "Little Tea House" beside Lake Agnes. Lake Agnes is a small
very scenic in a valley several hundreds of feet above Lake Louise. The
views of the big lake and the surrounding scenery on the climb up to the tea
house are stunning.

6. A kilometer or two before reaching Chateau Lake Louise there is road off
to the left that takes one to Moraine Lake. Although much smaller than Lake
Louise,Moraine Lake and the immediate area [known as the Valley of the Seven
Peaks] is stunningly beautiful. Here is a shot I took some years ago:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/04.html

7. Take the chair lift to the top of the ski hill at Lake Louise. This shot
was taken from the far end of Lake Louise and shows the ski hill in the far
distance:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/099.html

The view from the top of the chair lift is out of this world.

8. Take afternoon tea in the ground floor lounge at the Chateau Lake Louise.
The hotel used to have a harpist playing in the background, and proabably
still does, that added a nice atmosphere to the surroundings. The view up
the lake to the Victoria Glacier 20 some miles away is one of the seven
photo wonders in the world.

9. Enjoy a drive on the "Icefields Parkway" from Banff to Jasper. Here is a
shot that is typical of the entire route:

www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/083.html

looking east from near Lake Louise down the valley to Banff.

10. There is, or was, a steak house in Banff called "Melissa's Mis-Steak"
that did a pretty good piece of Alberta beef when we were there last!

Enjoy your trip ............ if your stop off at the roadside glacier half
way between Banff and Jasper take a snow coach ride on the glacier. With
global warming this river of ice is fast retreating.

John Hudson ... one time long time Calgarian.