[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:53:48 +1000
The French have an appropriate expression - '...il pête plus haut que
son cul' - he farts a little higher than his his arse.

Nevertheless, if Moose and I decided that our images are art, they
are. So there.

The vast majority of the art community are engaged in the near
impossible activity of measuring the unmeasureable.
Like every other human activity which involves reasonably intelligent
people engaged in an exquisitely difficult task, this develops its
own language which tends to exclude those uneducated and unengaged in
the area.
I'm sure that the discourse on this list would seem like an exercise
in self-abuse to many. (i.e. at least two members of my immediate
family). Personally I find much of the commentary on wines to be
dense and pretentious but at the same time, I regret that I lack the
education and refinement to appreciate the fine nuances of flavour
and character that such critics enjoy. I am condemned to swill cheap
Merlot without experiencing the nicer points.
Therefore it is perhaps unkind to hurl contemptuous abuse at those
desperately attempting to make a living, a career from such
endeavours just because we don't understand much of what they are
saying. The fault may lie with us, not them.
Now go and smack yourself on the wrist for harbouring such unkind
thoughts.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx