[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:34:49 -0600
Why did that bother you? When you're doing custom commissions, you have to
do what the customer wants. No different than the graphic design work I do
and the photography I do for my clients. A lot of time clients have had me
change a layout or reshoot a photo because of some personal hangup they had.
I gladly did it, even if I thought it wouldn't look right. I did tell them I
didn't think it would look good...they were paying me for my advice as well
as my labor, but if they insisted I did it their way. If I didn't, I'd have
not gotten PAID. Artists like to whine that they can't earn a living but
then complain when their customers expect them to act like businessmen. Art
is a business, like it or not. Here in Santa Fe we have lots of 'artists'
who are trust-funders who don't care if they earn money. They can decide to
never take a bath, dress funny, and worship crystals and other new-age crap,
but the rest of us create art to make a living. Thankfully there are a lot
more trustfunders than real artists here and it makes it a LOT easier for
someone like me to earn a living. When I lived in my hometown, Fort Wayne,
Indiana, it was harder because virtually all of the artists there needed to
work to live, too much competition, too little work to go around.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com