[OM] Re: [OT] Pantone huey + First Monitor Impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Pantone huey + First Monitor Impressions
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you guys for the quick response and thank you Andrew for volunteering to
check with your friend Mark.
  My first impressions from getting the new monitor were mixed.  It is a great
improvement from the 17 inch CRT I bought five years ago just because had
excellent specs.
  There are two things that bug me about the new monitor:
  I.  The vertical viewing angle isnt that great (although the horisontal is
superb).  I knew that when I was at the store.  It is better than most of the
monitors that I considered and it probably would be ok if it weren't set for
the line about half an inch below the top.  Just a notch lower would have been
perfect IMHO, but as I sez, all others were set that way.  I thought that the
rule of the thumb was somewhere in the upper third of the screen.
  II.  I don't know how I am going to adjust the whites...
  In a mean time I have managed to confuse myself when it comes to monitor
calibration.  When you buy a sensor, any sensor...they measure light relative
to what?  Here is where the source of confusion is:
  I know that people would see lightness and saturation differently in
pictures.  I realized that recently, when for the nth time I looked at some
landscape I wanted to take a picture of with each of my eyes individually.  My
right eye sees little darker and the colors are slightly more saturated.  Not
by much, just enough to notice.  So, I was thinking that if there is a
noticeable difference between the eyes I use, there must be difference between
how other people see and it might be more pronounced...
  Based on that observation, I came to the conclusion, that no matter what tool
I use, at the end my pictures will look too dull to some or oversaturated to
others.  Am I missing sompin'?
  Boris
  P.S.  I went and used the Adobe calibration tool...figured out that at least
I should make my eyes happy...:)

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.